Sunday, May 10, 2009

Stress and Stressibility - Lara

I wasn't all that surprised when Kerry was accepted to the University of Edinburgh. I always knew he was a genius: that’s why I married him. Still, I was surprised that it was finally happening. It had always felt like Kerry wasn't accepted into the schools because of some divine timing in which everything would work out smoothly and peacefully. It only took me a couple of days to realize that this wasn't going to be easy. It was a dream come true, don't get me wrong, but the realization that we were going to have to pay for it caused a series of panic attacks. After a day or two pacing the house as a list of all that needed to be done hit me in waves churning in my head. I finally sat down to do what I always do: make a "to do" list. Even that was unsatisfactory, so I divided the list by month. The summary for the list is this: May - sell EVERYTHING and raise $13000 dollars for Visas, June - Find a Job and a furnished Apartment in Edinburgh, July - Apply for Visa, August - Sell car and buy plane tickets. Also floating between months was getting the dog micro-chipped and blood tested so she can go to the UK, find a home for the cats, sell/rent the house, move out of house, put stuff in storage (what we are keeping for sentimental reasons), and pay for all the fees without dipping into the $13000.

At first I thought we only needed $8000, but that is only for Kerry to go by himself. It might as well have been a million dollars because we didn't have it, and no matter what ideas I can up with, we still couldn’t get it. I prayed about it of course, but I ran myself ragged the whole week ending April and the first week of May and we were only able to get a thousand dollars which we then used to settle our last bad debt from our previous college experience that all of a sudden decided to call. The thing is that it was the right thing to do to be current and right with everyone when we want God to bless us, but I was very discouraged. With all my abilities and all that I tried to do, a thousand dollars was still nothing compared to what we needed.

I have finally come to the conclusion (maybe a little late) that this wasn't about us earning something or deserving something. This was about God from the very beginning. Without Him we can't go. That's it, end of story. With God all things are possible. I remember reading about George Muller who had to trust God every day to provide for him and a house full of orphans. God always came through. I really don't know what tomorrow looks like at all and this has been the scariest thing we have ever attempted to do, but I know that God is leading us and that is enough. I am going to keep going and let God do His thing. If he wants, we could sell everything and end up staying in Tyler, but I just don't see that happening. I know God too well. He is up to something and we are along just show how cool He is when he does it.

3 comments:

  1. Can you not take the cats overseas? Is it verboten or is it prohibitively expensive/complicated?

    I would also be interested in how the visa fees break down.

    Also make sure you swing by Wales when you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taking the cats is not necessarily out of the question, but it is very complicated. Dogs and cats have to go through a six month quarantine, though because we are from the USA this can be done at home under the direction of a vet. The other problem, though, is housing, and considering the difficulties we are leaning toward trying to rehome them. The dog is definitely coming with us.

    The UK just changed their immigration process to a completely points based system, and student Visas fall into the fourth Tier, which requires that one have $8,000 (5400 pounds) in a bank account for 28 days before even applying. For Lara to come on my student Visa, we have to have another $5,000 in that account. This approximates 9 months of expenses. Before the change in law, one simply had to demonstrate one's financial stability through employment or whatnot. That won't do anymore, apparently.

    We plan to take full advantage of our time in the UK. Wales is but one of many planned destinations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't have to spend/pay all that money, do you? You just have to have it?

    Also if you go to London don't try to walk from Buckingham Palace to Parliament to the British Museum. You will die.

    ReplyDelete