Saturday, October 10, 2009

Arthur's Seat



On craggy Arthur's Seat I found a bloom.
Alone and stark its violet velvet life
Persistently against the cold and grey
Did share its beauty on the stony slopes.
Then once atop the rocky heights I stood,
The sun I glimpsed through granite stratus wisps,
Descending now and glowing drowsily
As jagged shadows strengthened at its wane.
Where once volcanic violence destroyed,
where ash and lava formed a rocky crust,
I now found green and bushy herbs and grass
Reborn amidst the fertile remnant soil.
On Arthur's Seat and in its frigid breath
I learned how Nature thinks of life and death.

6 comments:

  1. Not bad at all. Certainly good enough that I had to google it to make sure it was an original work. I found it vaguely Coleridgian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it inspired. I don't need to Google it. I know my son. Using Kara's gmail, but I am Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, both of you. I realize it didn't rhyme every other line like a shakespearean sonnet, but, heck, modern sonnets don't even necessarily have 14 iambic pentameter lines. At least the last two rhymed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I googled it. Cool. So if I want to people to find this blog, all I have to do is say, "First, go to Google. Then, do a search for: On craggy Arthur's Seat I found a bloom alone and stark its violet velvet life ... etc, etc." That's probably the easiest way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to quote a line to show you which phrase I liked best, but I can't decide which one it should be. So...I love the concept of fire and brimstone turning to velvet life - very touching and profound!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lara- I know this isn't the best way to contact you but I had no idea how else to do so. I just wanted to let you know I will keep your family in my prayers- I was out of the office almost all last week and now got Lisa's email. My heart goes out to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete